Thursday, September 10, 2009

Still In Rock Hall

We've just completed our fourth day tied to the Rock Hall town wall. Dyna and Dylan think the place is great! They can step off the boat and run to a grassy field. They even got to play with some new dog friends, Cassie and Godiva. We can walk to a grocery store and the Harbor Shack is right next door with a great happy hour. Internet connection speed is very, very fast. Why leave?

One reason we've stayed was to be interviewed on Capt'n Pauley's Radio Nor'easter show on WCTR. We could have "phoned it in" but we wanted to meet Paul Esterle (aka Capt'n Pauley) and see what it was like to do a live show at the station. Paul picked us up at the boat at 8:30 am this morning to whisk us to the station. We had a great time with Paul and the other folks at WCTR and we're pretty sure we didn't embarrass ourselves. Dyna and Dylan even got prominent mention during the show. If you missed the live stream that Jeff referenced in an earlier blog, we should have a recording on our web site shortly.

At Rock Hall we have been meeting several of our online ActiveCaptain friends. First, Ralph and Celeste (aboard "Say Good-Bye") provided us with detailed instructions for navigating the shallow entrance into Rock Hall and helped us tie up last Monday. Ralph has added this helpful information to the Rock Hall Harbor Inlet marker on ActiveCaptain. Ralph and Celeste wrote the article All Ashore featured on our web site offering an innovative solution to getting their dog Striper into their dinghy.

We then caught up with Stephanie and Bob ("September Song"), and Tami and Doug ("Gypsies in the Palace") who were waiting for a part at a nearby marina. Stephanie and Bob are Cassie and Godiva's parents and brought them along for a major romp with our kids. These two couples have the same type of boat as us - it's always nice to meet kindred spirits. They introduced us to the Harbor Shack's happy hour where all of us, including the four-legged crew members, shared a drink and cruising stories on the outside deck.

Today Charles and Charles (yes, Charles squared) pulled onto the wall while we were doing the radio show. They are bringing Charles' boat ("CC Rider") down from the Hudson. Charles and his wife Pat are completing a four year cruise covering 9,000 nautical miles. Of course, that called for another trip to the Harbor Shack for happy hour.

We may leave tomorrow or we may not. The weather isn't going to be great so we're thinking we'll stay until Saturday. We need to be in Crisfield for MTOA by Monday where we look forward to meeting even more of our cruising and ActiveCaptain friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can safely state that both Karen and Jeff were excellent guests and did the trawler community proud. We all had a great time doing the show. I only wih I could have hung out with the gang for the rest of the day... Capt'n Pauley